TrainingPH team uses the EC Organizational Efficiency Framework® in organizational diagnosis and in implementing interventions. The framework revolves in 3Ps – Plan, Process, People.
The first thing we check with the organization is their plan. The organizational plan is usually consist of the following:
- Vision, Mission, Values (VMV)
- Annual Targets
- Departmental or Group and Individual Targets
- Organizational Structure
The common questions in determining the areas for development in the organizational plan are the following:
- Is there a Vision, Mission, and Values?
- If yes, is the VMV clear to all members?
- How do the organization impart the VMV to new members of the organization?
- Is there an annual target for the whole organization?
- If yes, is the annual targets clear to everyone?
- Are there Departmental or Group Targets?
- Does the targets sum up to the Annual Target?
- Are there individual targets that sum up to the departmental or group targets?
- How does the organizational chart look like?
- Is the structured aligned with VMV and the different targets?
After checking the Plan, we then check the processes. These are some of the guide questions we use.
- What are the processes involved for a specific position to get his targets done?
- Are the processes documented?
- Are the processes clear to all people involved in delivering it?
- Are the turn-around-time defined?
- For the past 3 months, how many times do each position involved in the process meet their turn-around-times?
- Who drives the processes?
- Who is responsible if a process fails?
- Who reviews the processes?
- How do you change or improve your processes?
- Where there business or organizational losses arising from existing processes?
- Who makes the decision for each process?
- How long does it take to get a decision?
The key here is when we do process analysis, we focus on specific tasks and specific responsibilities. Then we repeat them on other tasks and responsibilities. This way we do not miss out on the details.
Processes are critical. These define the environment the people in the organization are going to be in.
When you put a good apple in a box of bad apples, the good apple will get bad soon. In the same way when you put an effective person in a bad environment, after sometime the person will adapt and will become less effective.
After checking the PLAN and PROCESS, we then check on the people. Here are some of the guide questions we use.
- What are the competencies required for a position?
- What are the competencies of the person assigned in the position?
- What are the competencies of the people a certain position is working with?
- How many people are needed to get the work done?
- How many people do the organization has to get the work done?
- Are there people handling multiple roles? If yes, what are the roles?
- What are the backup measures, in case someone goes on leave?
- Who are the top and bottom performers in the organization, and In what group do they belong?
- What are the leadership styles of the group heads?
- How do you measure performance?
- How do you deal with under performance?
- How do you deal with good performance?
- What are the basis of promotion and increase?
- Who are the people who stayed for at least 5 years in the organization and why did they choose to stay?
- How do you screen the people joining your organization?
TrainingPH believes that organizations should be organized so they can provide work that works.